A TRANS WOMAN WAs behind the facebook gender thing and she
"There’s going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to mean nothing, but for the few it does impact, it means the world," said Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison
Source on this, btw, although the article’s worded poorly.
Dive into our rich herstory and check out these three films that showcase our legacy of badassery.
everyone this is issy and she is LIFE THREATENINGLY ILL WITH A RARE BLOOD DISORDER - THE MEDICATION SHE NEEDS IS NOT PAID FOR BY THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT - at the moment it’s the only thing keeping her from becoming more perilously ill and each dose costs 20,000 dollars. she needs the doses every 2 weeks. we need to raise 270,000 dollars before july this year when a petition for the government to approve funding for the medicine she needs goes through and hopefully the government will begin covering her care. we need every cent you can get. even the smallest contribution could tip the odds. just sharing this could tip the odds. let’s get thousands of likes and re-blogs. PLEASE. VISIT THIS DONATION PAGE BELOW WRITTEN BY HER SISTER SYD AND DONATE OR SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS.
i have roughly 6,000 followers, if just 3,000 of my followers can donate 20 dollars that’ll be sixty thousand dollars. that’s 3 doses for issy. six weeks of sustained health. please if you don’t have 20 dollars i know you know someone who does. share this as much as you possibly can, put it on your facebooks, twitters, instagrams and tumblrs. i’m especially looking at my peers with thousands of followers. plz lets use tumblr to save a damn life rather than just selling our wares and educating ourselves. this is a powerful tool let’s utilize it.
if you live in australia here is a link to the petition you can print out and sign, plz get your friends and family to sign it as well - -
The Little Girl from the 1981 LEGO Ad is All Grown Up, and She’s Got Something to Say (via Women You Should Know)
“In 1981,” explains Giordano, “LEGOs were ‘Universal Building Sets’ and that’s exactly what they were…for boys and girls. Toys are supposed to foster creativity. But nowadays, it seems that a lot more toys already have messages built into them before a child even opens the pink or blue package. In 1981, LEGOs were simple and gender-neutral, and the creativity of the child produced the message. In 2014, it’s the reverse: the toy delivers a message to the child, and this message is weirdly about gender.”
WHY DUSKEN WANTS TO BE A BIG NAME TOY DESIGNER RIGHT HERE, FUCK WHAT LEGO DID, SERIOUSLY, THE NEW ‘SETS’ JUST REINFORCE THE DEFICIT OF ACTUAL VIS-SPACIAL TOYS MARKETED TO LITTLE GIRLS ANDDDD I DESPISE IT
Image Caption: "Claudette Colvin. Nine months before Rosa parks’ famous bus boycott, Calvin at 15 refused to give up her seat to a white passenger. She was inspired to stand up for her rights after learning about African American leaders in school. Civil rights leaders didn’t publicize her story because she became an unwed mother."
Black History month Feb 2014
Beauty is more memorable than blandness.
Whoops, this happened.
So, given Tumblr’s new interest in interesting advertisements, and my acceptance into a Bachelor’s degree in Communications (In Media and Culture), I started this side blog up as a way to help me work through understanding how good ad’s work/ how I’m going to work at going into advertisement and how I want to do that.
Basically I thought I’d shoot this your way, so y’all can geek out with me, keep me honest and argue with my occasional thoughts.
Does that mesh with you fine folk?
Image Caption: “On Thursday 6th February 2014, Shelia Oakley was TASERED IN THE EYE at home by a police officer who was a highly experienced Taser trainer. Four police officers threw her to the ground, put their knees into her back, then handcuffed her.
Commissioner says officer acted in self-defence.
She is now blind.
Australia, the world is watching.”
Image Caption: "A Frenchwoman, Jeanne de Clisson, became a pirate in the 1300’s to revenge her husbands death, who was beheaded for treason. She sold her family’s land to buy 3 ships and painted them black with red sails. for the next 13 years, she went on a pirating binge, targeting King Philip VI’s ships and personally beheaded the French Noblemen she captured with an axe.”
Another day, another kick ass woman from history who is sadly lacking her own movie franchise.
but nah, women never did anything interesting or exciting in the Old Days
Have you got your ‘hands’ on copy of the first issue of The Pillow Fort Magazine yet??
IN THE FIRST ISSUE OF THE PILLOW FORT MAGAZINE:
- 46 beautiful, individually designed pages
- 19 submissions (articles, photography, comics and more) from young people around the world with chronic illnesses
- Just some of the things inside: travelling with chronic illness; improving your mornings; yoga stretches; adjusting to temporary remission; the effects of invisible illness; the fantasy of fresh starts; and readjusting dreams.
Feedback has been universally great and I can’t wait to get to work on the 2nd issue!
Girls in Afghanistan aren’t allowed to ride bicycles, but there are no laws forbidding them from riding something just as fun: skateboards. Skateistan, an NGO located in the heart of the capital Kabul, is using skateboarding as a tool to empower children. Forty percent of the 350 students enrolled at the school are girls, and half of them work on the street to help their families. In addition to skateboarding lessons, Skateistan provides free art, math and science classes.
Read more via Daily Mail.
This is so fucking cool
TUMBLR: WE NEED YOUR HELP.
JANET MOCK IS GOING BACK ON PIERS MORGAN TONIGHT AND TWITTER HAS A #TEAMJANET #TEAMPIERS
AND LET ME TELL YOU
#TEAMPIERS IS FULL OF TRANSMISOGYNISTIC DICK HEADS
PLEASE SHOW YOUR LOVE USING #TEAMJANET AND VALIDATE JANET’S FEELINGS ABOUT HER INTERVIEW
92-Year-Old Grandmother Creates Amazingly Complex Temari Balls
These stunning embroidered balls called “temari” were made by the prodigiously nimble fingers of a 92-year-old grandmother in Japan. Although she only learned this elaborate skill in her sixties, she has since created nearly 500 unique designs that have been photographed by her granddaughter NanaAkua. Impressive does not even begin to describe this feat of dexterity, imagination and keen eyesight. The difficult process of becoming a recognized temari craftsman in Japan is tedious and requires specific training and testing. This grandmother must certainly be one motivated and talented woman. And if that was not enough to garner your complete admiration, she now volunteers every week teaching others how to make their own temari.
Oh my god. Picking so few physically hurts me.
Ugh, off the top of my head?
- Enheduanna: She’s regarded by literary and historical scholars as possibly the earliest known author and poet.
- Queen Nzinga of Ndongo: The “greatest military strategist that ever confronted the armed forces of Portugal.” Her military campaigns kept the Portuguese in Africa at bay for more than four decades. (Personally I think she may have been one of the best strategists in history.)
- Mariam “Al-Astrolabiya” Al-Ijliya: A scientist who designed and constructed astrolabes.
- Ching Shih: One of world history’s most powerful female pirates.
- Eva Peron: (OH MY GOD I CAN’T FIND HER IN OUR ARCHIVE THIS IS A HORRIBLE DAY.) First lady of Argentina who worked to improve labor rights and advocated allowing women to vote, In 1951 a mass rally of two million people called “Cabildo Abierto” begged her to run for vice president. It has been claimed that “Cabildo Abierto” was the largest public display of support in history for a female political figure.
- Hatshepsut: One of the most successful female pharaohs, reigning longer than any other woman of an indigenous Egyptian dynasty-her reign as king is usually given as twenty-two years.
- Mary Seacole: A nurse who is best known for her involvement in the Crimean War, who set up and operated boarding houses in Panama and the Crimea to assist in her desire to treat the sick.
- Marsha P Johnson and Sylvia Rivera (Their stories are intertwined) Stone wall and American transgender activists, who were founding members of both the Gay Liberation Front, the Gay Activists Alliance and STAR.
- Queen Lili’uokalani: Revolutionary Queen, who sought to empower Hawaiians through a new constitution.
Yeah, these ladies are pretty rad.
I hope your article goes well! Good luck!
^For anyone who is interested!
Only a few poems of the Greek poetess Sappho’s work have survived but thanks to a leading scholar’s investigation two new works have just been recovered—and gives experts hope to find more.
OH MY GOD
“The new Sappho is absolutely breath-taking,” said Albert Henrichs, a Harvard classics professor who examined the papyrus with Dr. Obbink. “It is the best preserved Sappho papyrus in existence, with just a few letters that had to be restored in the first poem, and not a single word that is in doubt.
I CAN’T EVEN BELIEVE THIS. HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY